Rihanna, Aretha, Sting Usher in Obama for Inauguration
We're sure she'll sing something totally appropriate, like "God Bless America," but wouldn't it be awesome if Aretha Franklin burst out into "Respect" when she sings at Presidential-elect Barack Obama's swearing in as president of the United States on Jan. 20 in Washington, D.C.? Even better: if Franklin sang "Chain of Fools" and dedicated it to the outgoing administration.
The Washington Post has listed the official performers tapped to appear at the ever- so-tasteful Inauguration. Also on the bill are violinist Itzhak Perlman, cellist Yo-Yo Ma, pianist Gabriele Montero and clarinetist Anthony McGill. John Williams will conduct the quartet (we're quite sure they won't break into the Williams-composed themes to "Jaws" or "Star Wars.")
Revelers will have to wait until the myriad inaugural balls to bust a move. Rihanna will perform at the Recording Industry Assn. of America's ball (the RIAA are the folks who certify CDs gold and platinum, and, until last week, were the ones suing folks for illegally downloading songs). Proceeds from the ball will go to Feeding America. The Hip-Hop Ball will be hosted by Russell Simmons, LL Cool J and T.I. Sting will perform at the Creative Coalition's Ball, Il Divo at the Purple Ball (shouldn't Prince be at that one?). The American Music Inaugural Ball comprises two balls: the Legends Ball, co-hosted by Yolanda Adams and featuring George Clinton, Chaka Khan, The Temptations and Kirk Franklin, among others; and the Urban Ball, hosted by Outkast's Big Boi with performances by T-Pain, The Cheetah Girls, Lil Jon, and David Banner. Artists expected to attend-although not confirmed to perform-- at other balls include Harry Belafonte at the Peace Ball and Kanye West, who has been asked to perform at D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty's Inaugural Ball.
Sources tell the Post that there will be at least 10 official inaugural balls and 45 unofficial balls. The lack of rockers appearing would be upsetting-especially given how much Obama courted the youth vote-but it's still early days. For example, MTV has yet to announce who will play its ball, which we expect will feature a number of top names.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013
So is the new album title really 'Yeezus?'Sunday, May 19, 2013
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013