Another week, another record for Taylor Swift on the Billboard Hot 100
What happens to Eminem's 'Love the Way You Lie' this week?
Taylor Swift doesn’t make the top spot hers with new single “Mine,” but she still manages to tie a record. “Mine,” comes in at No. 3, making her the second female artist in the Hot 100’s history to debut more than one single in the chart’s top 5 in the calendar year.
On the Feb. 6 chart, Swift’s “Today was a Fairytale” (from the film “Valentine’s Day”) entered the chart at No. 2. Swift is tied with Mariah Carey, whose “Fantasy” and “One Sweet Day” (with Boyz II Men) both bowed at No. 1 in 1995, according to Billboard. We predict Swift will break the record before the year is out as her new album,“Speak Now” comes out Oct. 25 and we’re to get a second single from that project before year’s end.
Who keeps Swift out of the top spot? None other than Eminem, whose ‘Love the Way You Lie” featuring Rihanna logs its fourth weeks at No. 1. For those keeping count, “Lie” was Em’s second top five debut in the Hot 100 in 2010, following former No. 1 “Not Afraid,” making him the only male artist to have a pair of top two debuts within any time frame, not just the calendar year, according to Billboard.
While Swift’s label, Big Machine, serviced “Mine” to country radio first, the song quickly spread to Top 40 making the singer just as surely a pop phenom as a country one these days. Nielsen BDS research tells us that 60% of “Mine’s” play comes from country stations, while the remaining 40% is from top 40 and adult stations.
Will “Mine” hit No. 1 next week? It will have to beat out Taio Cruz’s “Dynamite,” which is still going gangbusters. The song rises 3-2 this week, which moves Katy Perry 4-2 with “California Gurls.” “Teenage Dream” also drops 7-9: radio play for the song continues to build; the drop comes from a decrease in digital sales.
In other Hot 100 news, Linkin Park’s “The Catalyst” enters the chart at No. 35 with strong airplay at rock radio and with 60,000 downloads (in contrast, “Mine” racked up 297,000 downloads in two-and-half days of sales).
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
News From Our Partners
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013