And the Song of Summer 2011 is....
Does it belong to LMFAO, Pitbull, Adele?
As we head into the Labor Day weekend, it’s time to officially crown the Song of Summer.
Summer songs are important. They become the aural memory of a time gone by. They have their greatest impact when we’re still in school because they often instantly recall the glorious summer break between school grades and can transport us back to what seems like a more carefree time. Think about them and you can practically smell the suntan lotion.
Some years the winner has been obvious, such as last year with Katy Perry’s “California Gurls,” other years there is no clear contender, but candidates are usually uniformly update and sunny as a summer’s day and are omnipresent on the car radio or iPod.
This year’s top pop contenders are LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem” featuring Lauren Bennett & GoonRock, Pitbull’s “Give Me Everything” featuring Ne-Yo, Afrojack and Nayer, Foster the People’s “Pumped Up Kicks,” Katy Perry’s “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F),” Nicki Minaj’s “Super Bass,” and Adele’s “Rolling In the Deep.” (I came up with this list with the help of Billboard’s charts and my own time spent listening).
Billboard has been keeping track of the potential winner all summer long and will reveal its final selection on Sept. 8, but it looks as if “Party Rock Anthem” has enough of a commanding lead for us to go ahead and declare the goofy tune the winner.
That idea is seconded by radio guru Sean Ross, whose Radio-Info.com survey of radio programmers handily awarded the title to LMFAO as well.
"It gets right to the point of what a summer song should be. It appeals to a wide audience. It’s got the wedding/bar mitzvah stamp of approval that “I Gotta Feeling” had," says Radio-Info contributor Rich Appel told Ross.
If you feel like relieving summers past or prepping the perfect Labor Day BBQ mixtape, click on Billboard’s Songs of the Summer (1985-2010) for a fun trip down memory lane.
What is your Song of Summer 2011?
News From Our Partners
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal 'The Wolverine' New Trailer: More Ninjas, More Action and Jean Grey?
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013