Abbey Road Studio, made famous by the Beatles, is up for sale
We humbly suggest that Paul McCartney buy it
As you may know, EMI, which has owned Abbey Road since 1929, is in a mess of financial trouble. EMI is one of the four major record companies (along with Warner Music Group, Universal Music Group and Sony Music). Therefore, in an effort to clear itself of some of its debt, it has put the legendary London studio up for sale, according to the Financial Times. EMI wouldn’t comment and the purchase price, in case you were interested in buying it, isn’t listed.
Abbey Road is best known as the Beatles’ studio—the fab four loved it so much that they named their classic 1969 album after it—and, of course, the cross walk in front of the studio where every tourist now feels compelled to replicate the “Abbey Road” album cover.
However, its history is far more vast than just the mop tops. As home of the London Symphony Orchestra, it is one of the few recording studios that can house an orchestra, musicians love it for its pristine sound. When British superstar Clift Richard began recording there in the ‘50s, it entered its rock phase. Among the artists who have recorded at Abbey Road include Pink Floyd, The Zombies, Kate Bush, Duran Duran, Radiohead, Oasis, Kanye West and U2. We've interviewed artists who recorded there and they state that it's magical. It's plainer than they expected, but the feeling of history practically seeps out of the walls.
The Financial Times says it is unclear if EMI will sell the Abbey Road brand name (apparently they own the rights to the name) along with the studio.
Studios like Abbey Road are pretty much seen as relics and I can’t imagine it’s possible to run it at a profit as a studio, but if someone is smart, they should buy it and turn it into a tourist attraction, like Sun Studios in Memphis. Yes, we’re talking to you Paul McCartney.
News From Our Partners
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013