Review: Pussycat Dolls' new video for 'Hush Hush'
Watch: Nicole Scherzinger channeling Diana Ross and some other chicks dancing
As if it hadn't happened before when the billing of the group changed to the Pussycat Dolls featuring Nicole Scherzinger, Scherzinger's ascension is complete with the video for "Hush, Hush," the latest clip from the gyrating gals' album, "Doll Domination."
It's a PCD' video in name only given that the other dancers barely have more than cameo appearances. The clip opens up with Scherzinger lounging in a bubble bath, similar to Cindy Crawford in George Michael's "Freedom '90" clip. She looks gorgeous and is completely fierce while telling a lover that she doesn't need him. There's not even the remotest hint that there are other people in the group (quick: name a PCD member besides Scherzinger [Editor's note: We can't!]) until more than a minute in when she passes through a door onto a multi-level staircase and the other Dolls are dancing as the song morphs from a ballad to dance number (this is a change from the original version of the song that remains a ballad throughout. If they hadn't changed it, the other PCD members would have had absolutely nothing to do). Cut to a roller disco. Nice Campari placement, by the way. We then move to a pool party where the other Dolls get to gyrate some more and pretend to sing "Hush Hush." It's an alternate universe where there's even a place for celebrity blogger Perez Hilton, who is cast as a DJ wearing a t-shirt that says "Hush Hush featuring Perez," in case you don't recognize him. Guess who will be getting great mentions in his blog for the new few weeks?
Around three minutes in, part three of the "Hush Hush" suite begins. Complete fade to black, then open on a tight shot on Scherzinger's face in front of a disco mirror ball. She launches into "I Will Survive." The song may be Gloria Gaynor, but her look is all '70s-era Donna Summer crossed with Diana Ross.
The other Pussycat Dolls are completely relegated to background dancers, along with the other hired hands. That said, it's a fun clip and totally fitting for the lightweight song about telling a recalcitrant lover to be quiet. We can only imagine that if the cameras had kept rolling, we may have seen Scherzinger whisked away in a limo while the other Dolls were asked to make sure they returned all their costumes and shoes, and were possibly expected to help break down the set.
According to the PCD website, the act is on tour in Asia and the U.K. for part of June and July.
Watch Nicole and, er, the rest of the Pussycat Dolls in "Hush Hush"
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013