Review: Linkin Park's 'New Divide' from 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fall'
Listen to the band's new single
While not as strong a song as the anguished "What I've Done," Linkin Park's tune featured in in 2007's "Transformers," "New Divide" has all the requirements of a music theme to a big summer blockbuster: Large, expansive verses? Check. Moral conflict in choruses that's resolved by end of song? Check. Some macho mention of love? Check.
The tune begins as virtually all Linkin Park songs do: with Chester Bennington's great, open vocals front and center with the music low in the mix, then, with a drum blast, the music soars and the tension builds. Hey, it works well for them time and time again.
Befitting the "Transformers" robotic theme, there's a cool, industrial, metal-sounding bridge that fits the movie perfectly and still works well with Linkin Park's metal edge. Note, however, this is all rock, no rap... we'll see if it signals a slightly new direction for the band.
Bennington wants to believe that "Love is big enough to reach the truth that lies across this new divide," and by the end of the song, the band has done everything within its power to convince us they're right.
Listen to "New Divide" below.
News From Our Partners
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013