Watch: Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt snack, talk salmon fishing and 'Yemen'
The two stars goof around and eat while promoting 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen'
Before we dug into our interview, Emily Blunt and Ewan McGregor dug into a pre-lunch snack (which you can see a bit of here). Thankfully, it wasn't salmon, though fish sticks were served for lunch. While the theme worked for promoting the movie, I'm pretty sure Blunt and McGregor preferred the macarons.
While Blunt and McGregor have an easy rapport that makes them seem like the perfect pairing in this interview, the connection is harder to see at the beginning of their new movie, "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen." A story about a fishing expert (McGregor) who finds himself muscled into assisting a wealthy sheik on what seems like a fool's errand -- building a dam and stocking it with fish in Yemen so that the sheik can pursue his beloved sport fishing -- it brings together McGregor and Blunt as a very unlikely couple.
Dr. Alfred Jones is an unhappily married man who seems to love his boring, buttoned-up life, while Blunt's consultant character, Harriet Chetwode-Talbot, is a spitfire who's fallen in love with a dashing military man sent to serve in Afghanistan. It isn't an easy or obvious romance, but that's a large part of what makes this movie work. The resulting sweet-natured romantic comedy somehow manages to avoid the missteps of so many films in the genre.
It also doesn't hurt that the film is based on a hugely successful book -- one that Blunt's parents loved. Though she notes that it didn't make the decision for her, it confirmed taking on this weirdly titled indie was the right decision.
It probably wasn't hard for Blunt to find sparks with McGregor (what woman didn't swoon over his character in "Moulin Rouge"?) despite the fusty character he played in the film, but I had to ask how working with him compared to another recent romantic lead, Jason Segal, in "Five Year Engagement." The winner? Well, you can probably guess all on your own.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
10 days ago
29 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
Did you expect the cliffhanger?Thursday, May 16, 2013
What did you think of Damon's big moment?Thursday, May 16, 2013
Watch the TV show before you read the book!Thursday, May 16, 2013
Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots, gets the teen treatmentThursday, May 16, 2013