'The Secret Circle' gets a laugh at Comic-Con
The CW's new witch series doesn't wow the guys waiting for 'Mythbusters.'
Waiting in line for "The Secret Circle" panel at Comic-Con turned out to be a lonely experience. When asking if the people around me were waiting to see a sneak preview of the new CW show, I was greeted with blank looks and awkward smiles. "I'm here for 'Nikita'" or "I just wanted to get here early for 'Mythbusters'" was the usual response. Though the show is about witches and is from Kevin Williamson, the mastermind behind swoony "The Vampire Diaries," clearly those fans were slow coming over from that show's panel in Ballroom 20.
So it shouldn't have come as a surprise that "The Secret Circle" was met with guffaws usually reserved for popular sitcoms. And, to be honest, some of the material in the pilot was unintentionally funny. The dark arts are a pretty good metaphor for sex, and when one character demands of her boyfriend, "You did magic with her?" with the indignation usually reserved for neglected housewives, the whole room broke into laughter. Otherwise, the "VD"-like charms of the show were likely lost on fanboys. Like "VD," this show is based on a series of books by the same author and many elements are similar. The orphaned girl hero, the super sexy bad villain (in this case, a female teen witch instead of a hot guy vampire), lots of longing looks between two characters kept tragically apart, that sort of thing. It might have been more strategic to schedule this panel a little closer to "Twilight"'s.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
The cast (Britt Robertson, Thomas Dekker, Phoebe Tonkin and Natasha Henstridge) might have been relieved that, once the episode was over, the Q&A session was less than ten minutes -- not even enough time for fans (or would be fans) to ask questions.
The moderator did squeeze in a few, though. Will the series be similar to the books? "It's the same story with the 'Vampire Diaries,'" WIlliamson explained. "It's a great place to jump off from. There's love, romance, betrayal, murder, deceit and mayhem."
But anyone hoping for a crossover with "The Vampire Diaries" will be disappointed. "They're two different worlds," Williamson said. "This is the beginning of a brand new story. These worlds do not intersect." But he added hopefully, 'If you like 'Vampire Diaries,' this is a show you might enjoy just as well.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
Dr. Leekie proves he's not one to be tangled withSunday, May 19, 2013
It's been a busy week, so get all your reality news here, nowSaturday, May 18, 2013
The magician just might beat the 'pretend game about pretend business'Friday, May 17, 2013
The NatGeo show takes a raw, dark look at life off the gridFriday, May 17, 2013