The latest reject from 'Project Runway All Stars' talks about ballgowns and being misjudged
Sweet P explains why she gave up on clothing design
Thanks to a frumpy skirt and a bathing suit top, Sweet P Vaughn got her walking papers on "Project Runway All Stars" this week. The much-loved season four contender talked to reporters during a conference call Friday about defending her designs, what she's doing now and which designer she hopes will win.
Even though Sweet P never seemed to be the target of scorn during her season, that didn't mean she was itching to go back to the franchise. "I wasn't going to do it, but they talked me into it," she said. Despite her initial resistance, she has no regrets about signing on for a second stint. "I became really good friends with a couple of the people. It was fun."
Even though her final design (and her first design) were panned by judges, Sweet P didn't agree with their criticism. "I actually do stand by my pieces, but I guess I just didn't want to argue with [the judges]," she said. "I didn't even think I should have been in the bottom this week... and last week I used fabric, but Jerell used tarps. I definitely felt like mine was more creative." Still, she added, "The critique wasn't too harsh last night."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Still, she admits that the judges' criticism wasn't always supportive. "I think it negates [creativity] a lot of times... They really judge it depending on what seems like easy drama. Some of the dresses on the runway last night were not ball gowns at all, but they looked sexy with lots of cleavage. I don't think it's going for creativity, but what's dramatic."
And as far as the judges' claims that she didn't design an actual ball gown, Sweet P thinks they may need to educate themselves. "If you look at the shape of a ball gown, it's a fitted bodice and a ginormous [skirt]. I went home and thought, am I crazy? For a few of us - Kara, Kenley and I, we thought ball gowns and we did ball gowns. I thought Kenley's was gorgeous and she didn't get anything." In fact, her favorite design of the challenge was in the bottom three with her -- Kara's. "Everybody Google ball gowns to see what they are."
Sweet P may be gone, but she's still rooting for some of the remaining designers to make it to the end. "I'm definitely rooting for, I think Mondo is great. I love his stuff," she said. "I'm rooting for my friends; Austin, Kara, Kenley. I think Kenley and Austin have a good chance of winning. I think Michael's really talented, I know he's been criticized for not having gone to school, but he's really [talented]."
She wasn't a fan of every designer, however. "Elisa, I love her, but... none of us thought she was on par. I think maybe [the producers] were hoping for some drama from Mila, but I don't think she's going to give them much. I get along with Mila. She's fine with me."
Surprisingly, Sweet P isn't returning to a job designing clothes. "I quit designing about a year ago," she admits. "I went to make-up school, and I've been doing that for film and television for about a year." And if reality TV calls on her again, she won't necessarily hang up the phone "I said I would never do this again and I did it, so you never know."
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
25 days ago
10 months ago
|Discuss Reality TV on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
The first season of the top rated series will now run 22 episodesTuesday, May 21, 2013
All seven episodes will be available at launchTuesday, May 21, 2013
The series will air 16 episodes this summerTuesday, May 21, 2013
Zendaya knocks it out of the park, but another dancer makes judges cryMonday, May 20, 2013