The latest "Dancing with the Stars" are announced - but are they the ones you want?
Ricki Lake, Hope Solo and a Kardashian will grace the stage
ABC has announced its list of hoofers for the upcoming thirteenth season of "Dancing with the Stars" (premieres Mon. Sept. 19 at 8 p.m. EST) and, while the list holds a few surprises (Chaz Bono?), most of the names are no-brainers or outright head scratchers. Here's the final list (and if you don't recognize the names, I've tried to provide a little information about each "star," too).
David Arquette (Courteney Cox's estranged hubby)
Nancy Grace (commentator, pundit and angry woman)
Kristin Cavalleri (reality TV star of "Laguna Beach," "The Hills")
Ricki Lake (talk show host, star of "Hairspray")
Chynna Phillips (singer, Wilson Phillips)
Carson Kressley (former "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" guru, fashion TV host)
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Ron Artest (basketball player for the Los Angeles Lakers)
Hope Solo (U.S. soccer star)
Elisabetta Canalis (Italian actress and George Clooney's ex)
Rob Kardashian (a lesser Kardashian)
J.R. Martinez (retired Army soldier and "All My Children" star)
Chaz Bono (Sonny and Cher's son)
So, it looks like Ryan O'Neal (who was rumored to be on the list) dropped out of the running to be replaced by Carson Kressley. Maybe O'Neal realized he was stuck with the token "oldie McOlderson" title, which couldn't have been a big stroke for his ego.
While I'll admit to being curious to see some of these celebrities kick up their heels (I'm not sure I've ever seen Nancy Grace in anything but a close-up shot -- for all I know she doesn't have feet), other stars seem to qualify only as space fillers. Given how well Kim Kardashian performed on the show (she didn't), do we really need her brother, Rob? I'm sure Elizabetta Canalis will be beautiful and (possibly) graceful, but if her greatest claim to fame is being George Clooney's ex, does that really constitute even D-list stardom (apparently, yes)? Still, we should be able to expect some wackiness from David Arquette (but hopefully not Adam Carolla-level wacky). Carson Kressley could have some panache, and even if she can't dance Ricki Lake will probably go far as most affable. But I'm rooting for J.R. Martinez, if only because he has military discipline behind him and an inspirational story -- severely burned while serving in Iraq, he's used his experiences to become a motivational speaker and eventually land on "All My Children." If he has even an ounce of rhythm, I'm thinking he has my vote.
How do you think each new contestant on "Dancing of the Stars" season 13 will do? Vote here and share your opinions.
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
The new fall comedy tackles intergenerational divorceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Four guys, one short-term apartment complex, and bondingWednesday, May 15, 2013
Holloway plays a super-powered high tech intelligence operativeWednesday, May 15, 2013
Allison Janney plays Faris' recovering alcoholic momWednesday, May 15, 2013