'So You Think You Can Dance' will return without a results show - but is that so bad?
While voters will be impacted, the change also means less fluff
Via Twitter, producer/judge Nigel Lythgoe revealed this week that "So You Think You Can Dance" will be returning to Fox for a ninth season -- but this time, without a results show. "Fox [has] cancelled the results show so I have to change the format of #SYTYCD," he wrote. "At least we have [a ninth] season at the end of May."
Not that Lythgoe was complaining, mind you. "I'm certainly not mad at FOX they have supported #SYTYCD FOR 9 seasons," he tweeted. "With the help of Mike Darnell [Fox's president of Alternative Entertainment]. I think we have some great new ideas."
While Lythgoe might be putting a happy face on the situation (it's likely that he needs to -- ratings for the show have been dropping, so it could be argued that half a show is better than none at all), what this means for viewers (and voters) is up in the air. Lacking that extra day to tally votes, it's unlikely that the show will be able to eliminate a dancer (or a dancing couple) until the next week's episode -- that is, unless the search for America's favorite dancer gets a shift to the judges' favorite dancer (not likely). Still, waiting a full week to get results seems like a small price to pay for the ultimate benefit to viewers -- less filler.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Like so many competition reality shows, "So You Think You Can Dance" managed to regularly drag out what could have been a ten minute elimination to a full episode of agonizing programming, stuffed full of guest performances, judge chit chat and many, many things that had nothing to do with sending the bottom one or two dancers home. Lythgoe isn't wrong to be putting a happy face on things -- if he's lucky, this change could reinvigorate an aging series by picking up the pace and leaving the non-essentials on the cutting room floor.
This could even be a good thing to the people most directly affected by the change -- the competing dancers themselves. Instead of having to stare glassy-eyed into the middle distance as Cat Deeley tells one after another whether they are safe or whether they are in jeopardy (and, finally, gives one dancer or couple the boot), they can get the news in short order and continue on (or go home). What's grueling for us as viewers wanting instant gratification is surely hellish for dancers who feel their entire careers are hanging by a thread. Let's hope quick and merciful eliminations are just one happy side effect of the new (and possibly improved) "So You Think You Can Dance."
Are you sorry to see the results show go?
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
It's been a busy week, so get all your reality news here, nowSaturday, May 18, 2013
The magician just might beat the 'pretend game about pretend business'Friday, May 17, 2013
The NatGeo show takes a raw, dark look at life off the gridFriday, May 17, 2013
Did you expect the cliffhanger?Thursday, May 16, 2013