Review: 'Real Housewives' spinoff 'Don't Be Tardy for the Wedding'
Atlanta's Kim Zolciak steps into the spotlight for a dream wedding
- Critic's Rating B
- Readers' Rating A
It's been a big year of moving beyond the mothership for the ladies of "Real Housewives of Atlanta." NeNe Leakes landed recurring roles on "Glee" and NBC's comedy pilot (and likely pickup) "The New Normal," Kandi Burruss' making-a-music-star special "The Kandi Factory" has been picked up as a full blown series for Bravo and Kim Zolciak is fronting the first official "Atlanta" spinoff: "Don't Be Tardy for the Wedding."
Chronicling the dramatic events leading up to Zolciak's nuptials last November, "Don't Be Tardy" plays like a slimmed down "Real Housewives" arc and should appeal to "Atlanta" fans as naturally as Bravo's "Bethenny Ever After" capitalized on "Real Housewives of New York" breakout Bethenny Frankel.
Back in the first season of "Atlanta," it would've been hard to imagine Zolciak carrying her own show. The surgically-enhanced, wig-loving, chain-smoker was something of a villain, ostracized for her seemingly gold-digging affair with a married man, music career pipe dreams, and rambunctious personality leading to frequent fights with her co-stars and a roller-coaster frenemy relationship with Leakes. These days, though, it's Kim who's looking grounded and occasionally even admirable.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
It helps that "Tardy" will air in brisk half-hour episodes instead of trying to pad things out to a full hour. Although they're not in the premiere, we're promised appearances from Kim's "Atlanta" co-stars in future episodes while also spending more time with Kroy, Kim's daughters 14-year-old Brielle and 9-year-old Ariana, and her mother Karen -- who is immediately established as the show's wild card.
The first half hour is a typical mix of sex jokes, over-the-top displays of wealth (Kim tells Kroy she wants to set their wedding budget at $500,000, while her celebrity wedding planner Colin Cowie tells her to think about seven figures), and family bonding. There's nothing outside of the "Atlanta" wheelhouse and the spinoff works for the same reasons: Kim is good TV -- funny, lively, never taking herself too seriously and not afraid to stir up drama over any little thing.
The show caters to an even narrower niche than "Housewives" (it doesn't seem likely anyone without preexisting interest in the franchise will check "Tardy" out, unless they're really obsessed with the details of planning a massive wedding in two months time), but there's enough built-in attachment to make it a tangent worth taking.
"Don't Be Tardy for the Wedding" premieres April 26 at 9 p.m. ET on Bravo
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
20 days ago
10 months ago
|Discuss Reality TV on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
What did you think of Damon's big moment?Thursday, May 16, 2013
Watch the TV show before you read the book!Thursday, May 16, 2013
Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots, gets the teen treatmentThursday, May 16, 2013
Girl meets alien, love blossoms in this new dramaThursday, May 16, 2013