Kermit the Frog makes 'How I Met Your Mother' star Jason Segel cry
The star swears a new baby on 'HIMYM' won't be jumping the shark
Jason Segel isn't just starring in "The Muppets" (set for release Nov. 23). He's also a co-writer, having written the script with his "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" partner Nick Stoller. While "The Muppets" isn't likely to have nude scenes and wild cards like Russell Brand, putting the script together was a logistical nightmare, according to Segel. "It was oddly a lot more complicated than I thought," Segel said in an interview during the CBS after-party during the TCAs. "All of a sudden, you realize when you write a scene like, 'The Muppets run away from the building,' the set has to be elevated and there's puppeteers operating all four limbs. It's as creative as you want it to be in your brain."
But writing for puppets may not have been the most gut-wrenching part of the job for the "How I Met Your Mother" star. "I cried the first time Kermit said a line I'd written," he said. "It's not even "awww" worthy. It just happened. I'd been writing the script for about four years, literally since 'Sarah Marshall.' We did a table reading, and they'd brought the puppets for the first time. We're all just sitting at the table, and all of a sudden they brought out Kermit and he said the first line that I had written. And I just lost my shit a little bit. I started crying at the table read and I had to awkwardly ask them to stop filming. It was emotional. He's been my favorite since I was a little kid." Despite the tears, Segel added, "It was a good day."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Of course, Segel still has his day job, which is about to get some complications of its own. After a bout of infertility, Marshall is goingt to have a baby with Lily (Alyson Hannigan). Though the addition of a baby to a show can be a worrisome sign, Segel swears the show won't be jumping the shark. "It doesn't feel stunty to me," he said. "Our characters have been married for five years. It's kind of what happens. You have a kid, that's what happens… For Carter [Bays] and Craig [Thomas], this is what's happening in their lives. I don't write the show, but you write what's happening in your life and that's what turns out being great. 'Sarah Marshall' was about a bad break-up which I'd had, 'Five Year Engagement' was about being in a long term relationship, which Nick and I have both experienced, and Marshall and Lilly getting pregnant is what these guys are going through. I think one of the things that makes the show feel true is we're not trying to create an artifice of what people want to see. We're trying to do very naturally what [people] our age are going through." And sometimes, if you're lucky, that includes Muppets.
News From Our Partners
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
The magician just might beat the 'pretend game about pretend business'Friday, May 17, 2013
The NatGeo show takes a raw, dark look at life off the gridFriday, May 17, 2013
Did you expect the cliffhanger?Thursday, May 16, 2013
What did you think of Damon's big moment?Thursday, May 16, 2013