HitFix Interview: Kristin Bauer talks about being evil on 'Once Upon A Time'
The 'True Blood' star takes her first step in front of a green screen
For a nice girl from Wisconsin, Kristin Bauer certainly knows how to play a bad, bad girl. On "True Blood," she's made her bloody mark as Pam the lesbian vampire and now she takes on the role of Mistress of All Evil Maleficent, the baddie from Sleeping Beauty, in ABC's "Once Upon A Time" (Sun. Oct. 30 at 8 p.m.). HitFix talked to Bauer briefly about her guest shot on the new series, her adventures in green screen and why she's got a thing for great costumes.
Though Bauer isn't sure how her name got tossed into the ring to play Maleficent, she says, "I only imagine it was like they wanted somebody playing evil, and I'm on a short list of playing evil. But it did come up very fast. I was on the road working on other stuff, so I didn't know much about it. I just knew the scene, put on the costume and they put me in front of a green screen."
Surprisingly, this was Bauer's first time in front of a green screen. "I'd just gotten off a plane, so it was a little dizzying, but it was fascinating technology," she says. "All of these things start building in your mind, which is great, because all you have as an actor is imagination. I also had the director and Lana [Parrilla], who was so helpful, and they help'd so much. When I hit that acting ball back and forth with Lana, it was magic."
It was also confusing. "It was just me, Lana, a chair and a rug," Bauer says with a laugh. "But Lana was really great, because she's been doing this green screen thing for a while. She said, let me help you, and she showed me where I was on the monitor. Still, for one take the director said, you're standing in the fireplace. They helped orient me. On 'True Blood,' I've been living in this fabulous, beautiful world where you not only get great writing, the scaffold supporting you is really top notch. On a new show you never know. So it was wonderful to have Lana there, who could not have been better. Plus, she's an amazing actress."
Of course, the idea that Maleficent is playing ball -- and later battling with -- Parrilla's Evil Queen might come as a surprise to viewers of the show. Shouldn't the baddies be united on one side? "This is something, when I look at the environment and presidents of countries, it's interesting to see how these power people play together then have a spat," Bauer says. "They don't play their hand, I imagine. It's a whole political game, especially between women. I think it's very interesting how these writers wrote this, because it's something I see in life. When powerful people want something from each other, they have to figure out how to get it. You have dinners, you hang out, you weekend in the Hamptons, then you sort of hint. Maybe if you want that oil well, it's the last thing you bring up and you act like you don't care. I'm from Wisconsin, so I don't get it at all. I just ask, 'Can I borrow that sweater?'"
News From Our Partners
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
The magician just might beat the 'pretend game about pretend business'Friday, May 17, 2013
The NatGeo show takes a raw, dark look at life off the gridFriday, May 17, 2013
Did you expect the cliffhanger?Thursday, May 16, 2013
What did you think of Damon's big moment?Thursday, May 16, 2013