'X-Men: First Class' trailer promises style to spare and somber thrills
Did mutants stop the Cuban Missle Crisis?
My first reaction to the first footage we've seen from "X-Men: First Class" is that it feels like they're definitely playing in the same universe that was established in the Bryan Singer films, something that couldn't be said of "Wolverine." My second reaction is that Matthew Vaughn is trying to make something fairly somber and moody and sleek, and the trailer aims for the quiet wow in a way I admire.
Does that mean the film works? That's impossible to say at this point. Certainly there have been any number of reports and rumors about the film that suggest it's been a difficult shoot, but even that doesn't mean anything about the final quality of the film. Right now, the only thing I can judge is the trailer itself, and there's a lot about it that I like.
For one thing, I think it's a very interesting move to tie the X-Men into the Cuban Missile Crisis, and there's something amazing about seeing Magneto suited up in the '60s-era yellow-and-blue costume, right there alongside the heroes, trying to save the world.
I also like the decadence that is suggested in some of the images in the trailer, including the image I've used to illustrate this story. What the heck are Charles and Erik doing in the brothel from "Twin Peaks," and why are they sharing a bed while looking at a mutant as she spreads her wings? Since we know Kevin Bacon is Sebastian Shaw in the film and January Jones is Emma Frost, could this be a visit to the Hellfire Club, and if so, just how kinky is Vaughn going to get in a PG-13 movie?
We get a lot of shots of new mutants, as well as some new faces playing some characters we've seen before including Nicholas Hoult as The Beast and Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique. I think there's something elegant and beautiful about the way the effects work brings the various mutant powers to life, and Vaughn's a guy who has always seemed very reluctant to indulge CGI. I'm curious to see how he handles this world, and these first few glimpses of mutants in motion suggest a sense of style that I find very encouraging.
We still don't know much about the film, but as a first look, I'd say this is a successful kick-off to a campaign, and I want to hear what you think. Check it out:
"X-Men: First Class" will be in theaters on June 3, 2011.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013