Bruce Willis says he expects to shoot 'Die Hard 5' in 2011
No director and no writer yet, but that doesn't seem to concern Bruno
I can honestly say that if I were sitting across from Bruce Willis in an interview these days, the last thing that would cross my mind would be asking him if he's going to be making another "Die Hard" film.
Maybe I misread the general reaction to the last film in the "Die Hard" series. Maybe there are people out there saying to themselves right now, "I wonder what happened to John McClane after he fought that jet airplane bare-handed and saved the universe from the Internet," but if so, I've never met one of them. Maybe there are hardcore fans who are already angrily logging in to HitFix so they can respond, "Mr. McWeeny, you are simply not cool enough to appreciate a PG-13 'Die Hard' movie, so go FORK yourself." Maybe.
Personally, I like to imagine an alternate reality where the producers of the original "Die Hard" realize that the charm of the film hinges largely on the idea of John McClane being a very average guy who finds himself in one-time-only circumstances much larger than him, and who survives just barely, and as a result, they decided to never make a sequel because they know it would just be stupid to do so. I like to imagine that reality, and when I look at my own DVD collection, that is indeed the reality it reflects.
There are no "Die Hard" sequels in this dojo.
In that peksy "real world," though, there were indeed three sequels of varying quality, none of which I'd call good movies, and now Bruce Willis says that he plans to make another film in the series next year. He even wants to bring back Len Wiseman, who directed "Live Free Or Die Hard," to helm the film that Willis hopes will take the series international.
"It's got to go worldwide," he told MTV during his interview. "That would be my contribution to it."
I guess I'm baffled why this one's happening. Did "Live Free Or Die Hard" really do that well? I was under the impression that the general reaction to it was indifference, but maybe I'm projecting my own take onto everyone. Whatever the case, if this does start to come together, we probably won't hear anything more concrete until it's closer to shooting next year.
In the meantime, I'm seeing Bruce Willis's new film "Cop Out" this week, and I'll have a review for you before it opens.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013