Will The Rock and Zac Efron Star in 'Jonny Quest'?
'Race To Witch Mountain' director Andy Fickman may be on tap to direct, as well
Last December, the annual "Black List" was released through unofficial channels in Los Angeles. It's a fairly recent tradition, a list of scripts that have been circulated in Hollywood, where a shadowy group of agents and managers and development executives vote for their favorite unproduced scripts. Unsurprisingly, many of those scripts end up being produced soon after each year's list is released.
I guess I thought the list was all about spec scripts, original work, but this year, there were a number of assignments that ended up on the list as well. One that I found particularly surprising was "Jonny Quest," not because I think it's going to be bad or because I have some issue with the film... I just was startled to see that many people had that strong a reaction to it. Definitely made it one to keep an eye out for.
[more after the jump]
I spent a decent amount of time on the set of this spring's "Race To Witch Mountain," and the first thing I noticed was the chemistry between director Andy Fickman and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. "Race" is their second film together, following "The Game Plan," and I suspect we're going to see a number of films from the two of them. If "Jonny Quest" is one of them, that might be a good thing. Fickman is a cartoon, so he's definitely qualified to bring a cartoon to life, and Johnson would make a great Race Bannon. Hell, what kid wouldn't want a bodyguard/best friend like Johnson?
There are a couple of things that bear mentioning, though. First, in a post-"Venture Brothers" world, the only way to make "Jonny Quest" is 100% camp-free, and the script by Dan Mazeau is a huge step in the right direction. It's a serious action film, but it's fun without making fun of itself. And the thing they get most right... they thing they HAVE to get right... is the relationship between Race and Jonny.
And, yes... Jonny is 12 years old in the script. As he should be.
I had a conversation with the producers on the film, Daniel Alter and Adrian Askerieh, a few months ago, and they posed the question then about the age. Obviously, "Speed Racer" is a huge concern right now, because no matter what you feel about the film (personally, I dig it a lot), its failure has got to have executives closely eyeing any project that's even remotely similar. And the question that seemed to be giving them the shits when we spoke was "What age do you make Jonny?"
I think the IESB.net interview has a great point from Dwayne Johnson, though, when they're talking about that exact point:
IESB: He has to be a kid who needs to be taken care of, and if he's 17, 18 years old who's taking care of him? He's a dude.
Dwayne Johnson: [laughing] Right, right, a dude taking care of another dude. Then it becomes creepy.
Exactly right. The whole point of the script is that Race is hired to be Jonny's bodyguard after a whole string of failed bodyguards who can't keep up with him. Their relationship is the thing the entire movie hinges on. Yes, the action set pieces are great, but the human side of the script is what pushes it over the top and is, I would argue, the reason it made The Black List.
I'm not some rabid Jonny Quest fanboy, and I'm not speaking out of some rampant nostalgia for the property. Honestly, I'm not going to lose sleep about it either way. But if Warner Bros. is actively chewing on this issue right now, and if Fickman and Johnson are working to help the producers solve the problem, then maybe one more voice in the mix can help, and as much as Zac Efron is a rising star with a fanbase that Warner would no doubt love to tap, the best thing for the film would be to cast younger. Find the right kid. Find a real Jonny Quest. Let Dwayne Johnson sell the tickets. Let the kid carry the movie.
Besides... isn't Zac Efron supposed to be making "Footloose" at the exact same time they're talking about making this one?
It's intriguing, and we'll keep you posted as the film moves forward in development.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast? 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Spoiler Special: Burning Questions Answered 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now!
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
Plus he describes how he's like his character in the filmsMonday, May 20, 2013
One of the strangest moments of my online career involved the legendary musicianMonday, May 20, 2013
Instead, he explains how he feels the new film defines the whole trilogyMonday, May 20, 2013
You want to know what this summer sleeper's really like? Check this out.Monday, May 20, 2013