Watch: Zack Snyder talks about directing 'Legend of The Guardians,' his first animated film
Plus he discusses the challenges of directing an owl to act
Zack Snyder is one of those guys who does his best to make the promotional process on each of his films as painless as possible for all involved. When you work with the studios on things like interviews and set visits, I think some people assume it's fun and a party and non-stop wonderful, but like anything, for those of us who do it every day, it's a job, and there's a fatigue that can set in on both sides of an interview.
With Snyder, every single time you talk to him, the enthusiasm is the same, the energy is the same, and the desire to entertain and dazzle is front and center. He enjoys what he does, but more than that, he wants you to enjoy what he does, and he works tirelessly to try to make everything he's involved with into something burnished and perfect.
When I was on the set of "Sucker Punch" in Vancouver, Snyder was working to direct this film at the same time, working with teams around the world to bring it all to life and then to bring it together, and I found myself amazed that he could split his focus so effectively..
Last Monday, in Los Angeles, I was the last person in the room for each of the interviews I did at the "Legend Of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga'Hoole" press junket. I was scheduled for 5:00 in the afternoon, and as soon as I did each interview, the person would stand up and leave to go home. Ryan Kwanten first, then Zack Snyder, and then Jim Sturgess. Catching Snyder on his way out the door meant he was in an even looser mood than normal, and the resulting conversation was a good one, no matter how brief.
I'll have a full review for the film later today, but I'll just say this: it should come as no surprise to anyone watching "Legend" that "Star Wars" is Zack Snyder's favorite film. There is a whoooooooole lot of "Star Wars" in this film, right down to the bad guy owl with the metal mask he wears to hide his scarred face. And despite that, the film works because of the visual acumen of Snyder, and because he takes it absolutely seriously.
We discuss all of this and more in my interview with him today, and as always, my thanks to him for the chat.
"Legend Of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga'Hoole" opens this Friday.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
Become a fan of HitFix on Facebook.
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Plus he describes how he's like his character in the filmsMonday, May 20, 2013
One of the strangest moments of my online career involved the legendary musicianMonday, May 20, 2013
Instead, he explains how he feels the new film defines the whole trilogyMonday, May 20, 2013