Watch: Vin Diesel butts heads with Dwayne Johnson in 'Fast Five' trailer debut
Does the fifth film in the series suggest new life in the aging franchise?
I feel like I've spent an uncommon amount of time with Dwayne Johnson this year, even for people who play the publicity game, but that may just be a sign that Johnson's career has finally kicked into overdrive. I saw him in Hawaii last month, and then about six weeks before that, I visited him in Atlanta, where he was finishing up production on "Fast Five," the newest entry in the "Fast and the Furious" franchise.
Johnson is, of course, the newest cast member to join the ever-expanding ensemble that makes up the ongoing "Fast" crew. I'm fascinated by the way Universal took this sort of underdog little first film, a movie that no one expected anything from, and is now finishing up on this, the fifth film, with no signs of slowing down. I'm also impressed by the way Justin Lin has become the David Yates of this series, coming in late and then pretty much taking the series over. He made "Tokyo Drift," then "Fast and Furious," and now he's the man who is bringing Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel together for what could easily be the largest scale of the films so far.
Set primarily in Rio this time, the story focuses on an international team headed by Johnson tasked with tracking down and capturing the team led by Paul Walker and Vin Diesel, as well as many other returning cast members from all four of the previous films. Loyalties will shift, truths will be revealed, very large men will most likely beat hell out of each other, and, in the words of Johnson…
"And above all else, you don't ever ever let them get into cars."
I'm not even a massive fan of the earlier films, and I can see why this one looks appealing. I think it's impressive that most of the favela footage you see there is Puerto Rico and not Rio. Looks like they've made a big sprawling visually exciting action ride, and I honestly think seeing Vin and Dwayne go head to head is reason enough for this one to be on my list of things to look forward to in 2011. There's a hint in this trailer of one of the biggest scenes in the film involving the theft of a safe and a car chase, and stuff like that is the reason this series just keeps picking up speed as it goes.
Make sure you check out the gallery of new images from the film that we also published today, and you can expect to see a report on our time on-set sometime between now and the release of the film.
"Fast Five" will be in theaters April 29, 2011.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013