Watch: Vanessa Hudgens and Alex Pettyfer in brand-new 'Beastly' trailer
Look out, 'Twilight,' this summer's looking ugly
"Beastly" is most likely going to make a lot of money.
I am most likely not going to like it.
And it will not matter a bit.
To be fair, I haven't seen the last film by Daniel Barnz, 2008's "Phoebe In Wonderland," a moderately well-reviewed picture with Elle Fanning, Felicity Huffman, Patricia Clarkson, Bill Pullman, and Campbell Scott. Here, though, we've got a movie that is like a "Twilight"-fan-seeking-missile. It is a fascinatingly crafted, just in this 47-minute sneak peek they've posted today.
Wait. It's not actually 47 minutes. I had to go back and look, and I'm surprised it's only actually a total of 2 1/2 minutes. It's a "Beauty and the Beast" riff for the crowd that has been well-and-truly primed with the adventures of Edward and Buffy and Angel and Bella and now, here it is, the ol' girl-sees-past-a-rough-exterior-to-the-cuddlebuddy-buried-deep-inside number.
Vanessa Hudgens and a dude star in the film as the girl and... well, the dude. I'm not sure who the kid is at first glance. IMDb offers up "Alex Pettyfer." Still drawing a blank. I read his previous credits, and "'Entertainment Tonight' (Himself)" is the most familiar thing on the list before this. No matter. He was hired right, based on the glimpse here. As the pre-curse version of himself, he's almost absurdly pretty, and then when he's become "The Beast," he just looks like a dude who took Burning Man a little too far. It's carefully designed "ugly" make-up.
Let's see if I'm right. Let's see if CBS Films can deliver on the throwdown they made in the just-released trailer, which MTV Films exclusively premiered.
Tell me what you think. Even if you personally aren't going to go see that movie, is there any denying how carefully targeted that is?
I'm calling it as a hit based on two things: Vanessa Hudgens and Neil Patrick Harris. He plays the blind tutor to Pettyfer's rich kid who is cursed by a witch played by... wait for it... Mary-Kate Olsen. In equally carefully applied "ugly" make-up. Hudgens is, I think, a genuine starlet waiting to happen. It's not the world's greatest film, but "Bandslam" makes me believe she's a credible actor, and seeing what she's doing in Zack Snyder's upcoming "Sucker Punch," I think she's got what it takes to be a real movie-opening star. And Neil Patrick Harris is a not-so-secret secret weapon at this point, a guy who comes in, kills, and moves on. He's great wherever he shows up, and this role is a showcase, a victory lap for any good character actor let alone Harris.
This came off of IMDb's "trivia" section, by the way, and reads like someone just cut and pasted a bit of a press release: "CBS Films has already announced that Beastly will have apparel and accessories, social expressions and gaming eyed for consumer product treatment for the film's marketing."
This is hitmaking as brain surgery, and the fans of Alex Flinn's book are ready to get their turn in the "squeeee" industry. When the film opens on July 30, I expect "Beastly" to be a juggernaut, no matter what else is opening. It is not counter-programming in the sense that a trailer like that essentially shows the audience the whole move condensed. This is a throw-down from CBS Films, and just like the Alex Flinn fans, they're waiting for their first really no-argument hits. They're sort of chugging along right now, trying several things. "Faster" might work. But "Beastly"? "Beastly" has a HUGE shot of delivering exactly what that specific audience wants.
I am sure there will be more "Beastly" here at HitFix between now and opening. The film seems inevitable in its place in the traffic appetite of most movie websites. I can respect that if this film opens big, it's because of a real fanbase, and because the trailer speaks to them directly. Hudgens has been building goodwill. She's due.
We'll see if I'm right when "Beastly" is released on July 30, 2010.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013