Watch: The cast of 'Jackass 3D' spills blood, sweat, and tears to make you laugh
Johnny Knoxville, Bam Margera, Jeff Tremaine, and more sit down to discuss the new film
Here's what I've learned: you do not "interview" the cast of "Jackass 3D." You just jump in and enjoy the ride. They're going to run the room, not you.
As long as you embrace that, you're going to end up having fun, and I have to say, I walked away without any scars or any footage of myself naked ending up on MTV, so I think I'll count this as a victory.
Over the years, i've interviewed and talked to Johnny Knoxville a number of times, and he's always been exactly as easy to talk to as you'd imagine. I've also spoke to Spike Jonze about the show and Jeff Tremaine. In Austin, I just interviewed Steve-O by himself, and I'm going to put that up tomorrow as an audio piece as part of the return of the Motion/Captured Podcast.
The "Jackass" guys are exactly what you see when you watch the show or see the films. There's no difference when you're in the room with them because they're not playing characters in their films. I guess you could technically call the "Jackass" movies documentaries, although they are perhaps the most surreal commercial movies I've ever seen.
I'll have my review for the film later in the week, but for now, I want to share the interviews I spent last Saturday conducting at the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood. The first room I walked into was the toughest, with a total of five of the guys stacked in there together. As you'll see, I lost control of things pretty much right away, and was perfectly happy to do so:
I love how candid Dunn was in that interview. The next room was Johnny Knoxville and Bam Margera together, a combination that sort of surprised me. I've always thought of these two as being the opposite poles in "Jackass," but as they explained, this time out, things were somewhat different:
And finally, Steve-O, Chris Pontius, and Jeff Tremaine were together in the last room, and having just interviewed Steve-O, it felt like we just picked the conversation up where we'd left it off.
It's funny… when people dismiss "Jackass" out of hand, they're dismissing these guys out of hand, and that's ridiculous. You may not like what they do, but for the past decade, they've pushed their particular type of comedy to some really crazy, experimental places, and while this certainly isn't the only thing that makes me laugh, I think you've got to be working really hard to not be caught up in the amazing energy they're still able to muster, even ten years after they first worked together.
"Jackass 3D" opens everywhere on Friday.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
Become a fan of HitFix on Facebook.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Plus how devoted do you have to be to be called a 'Trekkkie'?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Will he be heading out on a new adventure soon?Tuesday, May 14, 2013