Watch: Robert Pattinson makes strong impression in trailer for Cronenberg's 'Cosmopolis'
Could this be DeLillo done right? And what will 'Twilight' fans think?
- Critic's Rating A
- Readers' Rating A
This makes me happy on so many levels.
I may not write about him as frequently as some of my other favorite filmmakers, but David Cronenberg is very near the top of the list of working directors whose work is important to me. He's got one of the great voices in movies, and I look forward to each new film he makes. I didn't particularly like "A Dangerous Method," but the rare one-off from him doesn't make me any less fond of the vast majority of his body of work.
When they announced that he was adapting Don DeLillo's "Cosmopolis" into a film, it was exciting because the author's voice is so distinct and strong that watching Cronenberg insert his own perspective into that material seemed like an exciting creative cocktail. So far, DeLillo's work has pretty heartily resisted film adaptation, but there was a time where I would have said the same about William S. Burroughs and J.G. Ballard, and Cronenberg did pretty well by both of those guys.
The casting of Robert Pattinson in the film is one of those fiendishly clever strokes of genius from Cronenberg. Thanks to the sort of stardom that Pattinson has acquired from the "Twilight" films, he's going to automatically draw eyes to any other film he makes, and it's a very specific audience that he brings with him. Young women. People who may not be familiar with either Cronenberg or DeLillo. People who may not have ever seen anything like what "Cosmopolis" promises to be.
Just take a look at the trailer and tell me if it makes you smile as much as it does for me. Be warned that you might not want to play this one at the office or with kids in the room, though...
Oh, man, I hope that plays Cannes. If so, it will be my top priority for the festival. Or Toronto. Just somewhere, and as soon as possible. Can you imagine being in a theater full of unsuspecting Twi-hards when that film plays? That trailer makes it look like we are in for a very dark ride when the film is finally released. Can't wait.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
14 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Plus he describes how he's like his character in the filmsMonday, May 20, 2013
One of the strangest moments of my online career involved the legendary musicianMonday, May 20, 2013
Instead, he explains how he feels the new film defines the whole trilogyMonday, May 20, 2013