Watch: Rob Riggle and Zac Efron give voice to good and bad guys in 'The Lorax'
Two very different stars discuss bringing their animated characters to life
Zac Efron and Rob Riggle are an odd couple, and in "The Lorax," they go head to head in a battle for the environment of Thneedville.
I'm sure most teenage girls, faced with the choice between Efron and Riggle, would find themselves hard-pressed to make the call. I mean, sure, Efron's so pretty he makes 20-year-old Rob Lowe look like the Elephant Man, but what teenage girl doesn't dream of a hilariously sarcastic slab of 42-year-old Kentucky ham?
I kid because I think Riggle is awesome, and a near-total cartoon character in person. What I find most interesting about his role in "The Lorax" is how completely opposite his character in the film is from him physically. They couldn't have designed a more different character for him to play if they'd tried. Riggle fills a room with his booming voice and his carved-from-beef physicality. He's a big guy. His character in "The Lorax," however, is about as tiny as can be, with a weird creepy haircut and a classic case of little-man syndrome.
Efron, on the other hand, has the unenviable task of playing Ted, who stands in for Theodore Geisel, aka Dr. Seuss. The filmmakers have named the young couple in the film "Ted" and "Audrey," after the author and his second wife, and so there's a little extra added weight for the love story to work, at least if Illumination Entertainment hopes to keep Audrey Geisel happy as they prepare to work with her on the biopic about her husband and his work.
No pressure, right?
I thought it would be nice to keep these guys together, since they're basically the moral poles of the film, and this way you get both the good guy and the bad guy in one convenient place. You'll see Zac Efron at the top of the story and Rob Riggle embedded below...
... and tomorrow, I'll bring you my very surprising (to me, anyway) interview with Efron's love interest in the film, the uber-charming Taylor Swift.
"The Lorax" opens in theaters this Friday.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
9 days ago
28 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013