Watch: Paul Giamatti and Don Coscarelli conspire to bring 'John Dies At The End' to screen
We sit down with one of the great character actors working and an iconic horror director
At the time, Giamatti had just recently started talking to Coscarelli about starring in "Bubba Nosferatu," the sequel to "Bubba Ho-Tep," and as soon as I steered the conversation to the idea of the sequel, Giamatti lit up. He told me about his first exposure to "Phantasm" when he was in his early teens, and by the end of the conversation, I realized that Giamatti was a full-blown horror nerd, and I liked him much more as a result.
No doubt he's a great actor, but there's something special about monster kids, people who grew up mainlining "Famous Monsters" and Saturday afternoon creature features and Godzilla movies, and there's a shared language that exists when we meet. Giamatti stayed attached to "Bubba Nosferatu" even after Bruce Campbell decided he wasn't willing to star in it, and so it should come as little surprise that he jumped at a chance to finally work with Coscarelli as both producer and actor on the new film "John Dies At The End."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Sitting down with the two of them together, I felt like I had one of my favorite conversations of the entire festival. It was a relaxed and funny insight into the way the film came together and how the adaptation was approached, and I would encourage you to check it out if you're still undecided about seeing the film. If these two guys can't convince you, then perhaps you can't be convinced.
This is the sort of film that lives or dies based on support at this stage, before it's been sold to a distributor, and so I'm going to keep saying this over and over: someone needs to pick this one up and then carefully handle the release. There is absolutely an audience for the film, and it's just a matter of reaching out to them and letting them know that it exists. It is a cult movie just waiting for its cult to figure it out.
I've also got an interview with the two leads of the films that I'll have for you tomorrow. They're both new to movies in general, but I suspect you'll see much more of them in the future.
News From Our Partners
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013