Watch: Owen Wilson and Eddie Izzard get animated to discuss 'Cars 2'
Well, actually, they're exhausted... so what's the opposite of animated?
He fixed me with a bleary gaze and, with surprising bluntness, replied, "We are both dead behind the eyes today."
Now, I certainly don't think things were as bad as that, but it's good to remember that there is a toll that these things can take on you when you're grinding out about 100 interviews a day for three days in a row sitting outside in the beginning heat of an LA summer. No matter how pampered you are by the studio that's hosting the event, when those interview lights are all directed at you all day long and you're doing your best to not look like they're sucking your very essence out of you, it can be real work.
I used to trade occasional e-mail with Izzard when I was still Moriarty over at Ain't It Cool, and a few times, he invited me to shows here in LA where he was working out new material. Watching Izzard think onstage is one of the great delights in modern live comedy. I've seen a bit crash and burn on him, but I've also seen him ad-lib his way into a roll of laughter that crippled a crowd for ten minutes straight. He's remarkably nimble when he's off the leash like that. In "Cars 2," he's far more reserved than fans of his live show might be used to, but it's a nice performance.
Owen Wilson is one of those guys I've interviewed many times over the years, and I always get the feeling he is being sincere because there's no other setting. Sincere is just what he does. It also doesn't feel like everything out of his mouth is canned. I get the feeling he stays awake by making sure he answers every question differently, even if it's the 300th time he's heard it.
I'm sorry these guys were worn down by their day, but I was the second-to-the-last interview of the entire junket for them, so I think I represented the light at the end of the tunnel for them, and it was good to touch base.
"Cars 2" opens this Friday, June 24, 2011, in theaters everywhere and in IMAX.
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Demi Lovato vs. Perrie Edwards – PopCrush Prom Queen of 2013, Round 3 Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video]
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013