Watch: New 'Wrath Of The Titans' trailer puts the emphasis on monsters
No one can accuse this sequel of playing it conservative when it comes to scale
I wasn't a big fan of the remake of "Clash Of The Titans," but I do like the genre that it represents. We need more giant monsters in our movies. I'd argue we need more giant monsters in all movies, regardless of what they're about. "The King's Speech" without monsters, for example, might have won Best Picture of 2010, but "The King's Speech" WITH giant monsters? That would win Best Picture of All Time. You see the difference?
Even though I didn't really care about anyone or anything in "Clash Of The Titans," they've pretty much guaranteed that I'm excited to see the sequel, "Wrath Of The Titans" because the new trailer that just arrived appears to be wall-to-wall giant monsters, and there ain't nothing wrong with that, philosophically speaking.
We talked to Sam Worthington about what he considers a big fat do-over, and how that gives him a chance to get this one right since he feels like he didn't get it right the first time. The same was true inside Legendary, which is a shame because I know how much the original "Clash of The Titans" meant to the executives there. This was not a case of cynically remaking something because of some spreadsheet, but rather a case of someone intensely trying to recapture a feeling they had when they saw something and falling short.
For that reason, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be an improvement on the first film. And based on this trailer, it looks like the action scenes are far grander in scale. I have no idea if that will make it a "better" film, but it certainly looks like it's got more of what I want from this sort of movie.
The film evidently takes place a full decade after the original, and once again, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes will be wrestling for control of the world and unleashing all sorts of nasty beasties on each other.
You can see the trailer in HD over at Apple.com, and here's an embedded version:
Okay, come on… that looks like a Harryhausen kid's dream. Count me in.
"Wrath Of The Titans" opens in theaters March 30, 2012.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
11 days ago
30 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013