Watch: New trailer for 'The Amazing Spider-Man' shows The Lizard and more story
Sony rolls out their new preview for one of the summer's biggest gambles
- Critic's Rating B
- Readers' Rating B
Early Monday morning, audiences got a chance to see the new trailer for "The Amazing Spider-Man" at a special Sony event that was held in 13 cities around the world, and I was there. I shared my impressions from that event with you in an earlier piece.
Now it's your turn to get a look at Sony's latest attempt to explain the difference between this new version of "Spider-Man" and what we grew used to in the Sam Raimi films.
There's quite a bit to look for in the trailer. You'll see Peter Parker, wiseass. You'll get a glimpse of The Lizard in all his greenness. You'll see some of the scale that they're going for this time, as well as the sense of humor that seems like such a fresh addition to the series.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
What you won't see in this online version is the 3D that was such a big part of this morning's presentation, and I'm still not sure what I think of it. I know Marc Webb shot this film in native 3D, and we're not looking at post-converted material, but seeing this in the theater today, it felt like a View Master version of the footage. I'm not sure I've ever seen 3D cranked up like this, with things existing on multiple planes for no reason other than to be in 3D. I didn't find it immersive. Instead, I found it oppressive, aggressively in your face. Maybe it will work different when it's in the film itself, and maybe it was just a matter of getting used to Webb's approach to the tools. It seems to me that we're in the Wild West when it comes to shooting in 3D, and every director working in the format these days gets to make up their own rules.
This is an important film for Sony this summer, and today was a major event for them. Based on the general response, I'd say they had a good day, and now it's time for all of you to weigh in. Does this make you forget about Raimi and Maguire? Does it make you glad they went for a reboot? What stands out for you from this footage?
"The Amazing Spider-Man" opens July 3.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
11 days ago
30 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013