Watch: New trailer for 'Sherlock Holmes' sequel features explosions, Moriarty, and drag
Can Holmes survive his first encounter with 'the Napoleon of crime'?
Sure enough, the avalanche of new marketing materials continues today with the release of the trailer for Guy Ritchie's "Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows." We ran a piece the other day about the two teaser posters that debuted over the weekend, and now there's a trailer to go with it, and there's a lot to digest here.
It does not appear that Ritchie's made any major shift in style here, and that's a good choice. His "Sherlock" was marked by some very big choices in terms of how it's shot and cut, and it looks like the new movie is absolutely in line with the first one. The chemistry between Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. appears to be front and center as well, which was obviously a big part of the first film's appeal.
But what this trailer's really selling is the larger scope, with what looks like pretty much non-stop action, as well as the new cast members that have been added to the mix. Noomi Rapace appears to be a fortune teller of some sort, and casting her as a gypsy is a very natural fit for Arthur Conan Doyle's version of London. Just dealing with the friction between what is real and what is hustle in a character like hers is a great nod to the concerns that plagued Doyle in his real life. How they use her is important, but as far as a type of character, she is a perfect addition to the world.
But the big news this time, of course, is Jared Harris playing Moriarty, the greatest adversary to the greatest detective of all time, and there was a photo this morning in USA Today that gave us our first good look at Harris in character. He's all over the trailer, and if they're serious about building this as an ongoing franchise, this is the most important moment they face. You have to give Sherlock an equal to face, and Professor Moriarty, "The Napoleon Of Crime," has got to be that person.
This is a teaser more than anything, with lots of jokes and punches and explosions, and we still have no real idea how the story works, but for now, it looks like Downey in drag is going to be our Christmas present this year.
"Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows" opens December 16, 2011.
News From Our Partners
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013