Watch: 'SNL' veterans Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph chat about 'Bridesmaids'
Old friends playing old friends? That's crazy!
"Bridesmaids" is a huge pleasure on a lot of levels.
As a fan of Kristen Wiig's work in smaller supporting roles, it is a thrill to see what happens when she moves center-stage and actually writes her own lead role.
And as a fan of strong comedians, it is a real joy to see a film that's designed as a sort of showcase for a number of strong players who don't always get the proper material.
One of the things I liked most in the film is the onscreen friendship between Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph, no doubt fueled in part by the offscreen friendship between the two of them. In a world where so many films aimed at women seem to focus on the most toxic and vile versions of "friendship" imaginable, it is impressive to see a nuanced, complicated relationship that goes through some very real and recognizable highs and lows in the course of a mere two hour film.
And, yes, it helps that it is often hysterically funny at the same time.
We had a chance to speak to these two on set, and then again at the press day for the film a few weeks ago, and aside from the way they both shatter the notion that "comedy is not pretty," they are also both very focused, very smart performers who can speak about their craft without making it seem precious. Our more recent conversation was brief, but it was one of those that just breezed by precisely because of how charming and relaxed they are together.
We talk about dozens, even hundreds of films a year, and when I recommend something, you have to take that as part of a sliding scale. I like movies frequently, and I am absolutely willing to pass on a recommendation for a flawed film if I see something in it that's worthwhile. It is a bonus when I love everything about a movie, when I feel like it's overstuffed with goodness, and "Bridesmaids" is one of those movies that I would tell anyone to go see. It is a triumph for all involved, and we'll have more interviews for you all week long.
You can read my review for the film from the SXSW Film Festival here.
"Bridesmaids" opens in theaters everywhere this Friday.
News From Our Partners
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013