Watch: Katie Holmes, Guillermo Del Toro, Bailee Madison discuss 'Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark'
Meet the cast and producer/writer of this weekend's freaky new film
Okay… here's a clear sign that I've reached a point of pure overload: I have no recollection of doing these interviews.
At first, I thought our editor was crazy when he sent me an e-mail today asking me if I was ready to publish the interviews I did for "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark," and I wrote him back to say that I wasn't the one who did them. He insisted that I was and sent me the videos and, sure enough, even though these appear to have been one-camera interviews, it's definitely me asking the questions.
I clearly remember seeing the film at the Los Angeles Film Festival this summer, and I liked it quite a bit. Watching the interviews now, I am struck by a few things. First, Bailee Madison can't possibly the age they claim she is. I'm going to guess she's 38 years old and just a bit on the short side. Don't believe me? Check out how incredibly self-possessed she is in the interview that's embedded below:
I've interviewed grown-ups who have 20 years of experience who were less articulate and poised than Madison. I'm guessing she's in this for the long haul, a total pro before puberty, and it was a pleasant surprise to have such a serious conversation about craft with someone so young.
The two-person conversation I had with Katie Holmes and Guillermo Del Toro was nice, and I wish I could have just spent an hour with Guillermo talking horror in general. Maybe we'll make that happen someday, because this is not a guy you want to limit to sound bites. His influence as a producer is very clear on this film, and I can tell how proud he is of the finished product. His name may be on the poster, but he is very clear in the way he gives credit to director Troy Nixey on this film, and it's nice to see.
I also like the way Guillermo talks about the reason he picked this as a remake, and I think this is the sort of thing that totally justifies doing that. If you're a fan of his work, I would highly recommend you see the film this weekend, and if you're just looking for a fun scare, you can't go wrong.
"Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark" opens everywhere this weekend.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Rihanna Bares Butt on Instagram [Pic] Kid Ink to Release 'Almost Home' EP on May 28, Tour With Kendrick Lamar Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013
Two of the supporting characters from the trilogy weigh in on saying goodbyeWednesday, May 22, 2013
Simon Pegg is still jumping fencesWednesday, May 22, 2013