Watch: Julie Andrews chats about 'Despicable Me,' 'Mary Poppins,' and more
Want to see an interviewer react like he just saw a double rainbow?
Julie Andrews is sunshine and rainbows and kittens and magic. And anyone who says different is a godless robot.
When they asked me to participate in the press day for "Despicable Me," I was amazed to see Andrews on the list of possible interviews, and I asked if there was any way they could put me in the room with "Mary F**king Poppins." I was being flip about it, but when they approved the interview and I actually got to the press day and realized who I was about to talk to, I got a wicked case of the jitters.
After all, there are movie stars, and then there are the icons we imprint on as children, and those people always remain incredibly impressive to us as we get older. I've met a lot of Hollywood talent, both in front of the camera and behind, and there are very few people who have ever made me as nervous as this interview did. When I walked in the room, whatever I intended to ask her disappeared completely from my head, and it turned into an episode of "The Chris Farley Show."
I have no idea what we discussed. It literally passed as a blur. When I walked out of the room, the fine folks from Universal were laughing at how big my smile was during the interview. I'm not going to watch this until I publish it because if I'm beaming as much as I think I am, my first inclination would be to censor the footage permanently.
In the end, though, this is one of those lovely perks that this job offers up on occasion. Truth be told, Andrews plays a small part in the film. It's fun to hear her give voice to the least supportive little bundle of nasty possible, but there's not a ton to discuss regarding her work here. It was purely a treat to have someone of her stature and bearing at the press day, and I can honestly say that sitting down with her for even a few minutes fulfilled a lifelong desire on my part.
As I got up to leave, I do remember mentioning to her that the night before, I had a long conversation with Jay Roach and a big part of that conversation was a discussion of the work of her husband, the legendary comedy director Blake Edwards.
"Oh, I wish we'd had time to discuss him. That would be a lovely conversation," she said.
Indeed. Anytime you want to get together for round two, Miss Andrews, I will make myself available.
We'll have more on this film in the next few days. "Despicable Me" opens Friday.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
Become a fan of HitFix on Facebook.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013