Watch: Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth are the men of 'The Hunger Games'
They discuss the world, the Games, and Katniss Everdeen
The male leads of "The Hunger Games" really don't spend any time together onscreen, but the dynamic that each of them shares with Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) helps shape not only this first film but the entire trilogy ahead.
What's impressive is that this is not about an easy love triangle. If you were to remove the romantic entanglements from "Twilight," for example, there's nothing left. And while there are definitely strong feelings between Katniss and Gale Hawthorne (Liam Hemsworth) and Katniss and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), that's not what drives this film. That's not what drives the overall story. That's not the point. I like that Katniss is defined by way more than just the men in her life.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
I've interviewed Hutcherson a number of times now, and he's always an enthusiastic interview, happy to talk about the work and about the vision he had for the movie when he signed on. Whether it's been "Detention" or "Journey 2" or "The Vampire's Assistant," he's maintained this consistent level of being engaged by the work and determined to make the most of each new opportunity.
Hemsworth is new to me, and honestly, he's got a somewhat truncated role in this first film. It's hard to talk to him about what he might be doing in future movies, but that's when Gale will start to get interesting.
This first film has to be a hit, though, and there's no way of knowing if that's going to be the case. Not yet. Anticipation is certainly high, and that means opinions will certainly be strong when the film is released.
"The Hunger Games" opens in theaters everywhere March 23.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
11 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013