Watch: Jonah Hill, Sam Rockwell, filthy language, and kids in 'The Sitter' red-band trailer
Wait... what is it that nice guys do best?
David Gordon Green is sitting somewhere this morning, watching the reactions to the new trailer for "The Sitter," and he's laughing himself silly at the frustration that "serious" film critics have with the direction his career has gone.
When I first met David, it was at the Ebert Overlooked Film Festival, where his film "George Washington" was being shown and celebrated. For a short time, the easy way to describe Green's work was using Terrence Malick as a sort of touchstone. Since "Pineapple Express," though, he's been doing something very different, indulging a side of himself that his film school friends all knew was there but that his earliest features didn't even remotely suggest.
I really like R-rated mainstream comedy David Gordon Green. I think he's a very different filmmaker than earnest dreamy little indie drama David Gordon Green, and that's fine with me. I'll take a film from either one of them, but what I like about R-rated mainstream comedy David Gordon Green is that he's flat-out crazy. He does not care about the rules of what you "can" or "can't" do in a comedy. He doesn't even seem to understand that there are rules, or that you aren't supposed to do certain things, or the the meaning of the word "taboo." He is a gleeful anarchist, and I like that element of danger in his work.
Just from the introduction that Jonah Hill shot for this trailer, you can see what most of the friction is going to come from, the idea of this profane lunatic being left in charge of impressionable children. That's one of those things that almost always works, and the more you push it, the funnier the returns.
I like the trailer, but I have a feeling this is going to be one of those comedies where the big laughs are situational and work best in context. I particularly love that they're scheduling this for December, so right as the studios are releasing their serious Oscar contenders and their giant-budget Christmas blockbuster wannabes, "The Sitter" sneaks in to f some s up. Can't wait.
"The Sitter" opens everywhere December 9, 2011.
News From Our Partners
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Plus how devoted do you have to be to be called a 'Trekkkie'?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Will he be heading out on a new adventure soon?Tuesday, May 14, 2013