Watch: JJ Abrams summons his inner Spielberg for spectacular 'Super 8" Super Bowl spot
Does this look like a 21st Century 'Goonies' to you?
It's like someone dropped the scale of a 2011 action film right smack dab into the heart of early '80s Spielburbia, and the result is about a bazillion people who just went, "I think I need to see 'Super 8.'" Well-played, Paramount.
The thing about "Super 8" is that, being cloaked in the same typical secrecy that surrounds all of the Bad Robot projects precisely because of jerks like me who tend to blurt things out, there's not much to go by so far in terms of solid information on what we'll be seeing this summer.
What I have heard from those in the know is that the film is very much a boy's adventure movie, like "The Goonies" or "E.T.", a film that's aimed at a young audience and that's meant to play broad. I think the youthful feel of the movie surprised some of the people who are working on it in various capacities. Not in a bad way… just in a surprised way.
And now looking at this trailer, what it seems to sell is the wonder of the film, the feeling that these are normal people caught up in something crazy, and in particular, that kid's-eye point of view seems to be clearly communicated in this, the first real footage we've seen from the movie.
Remember… that great early teaser trailer was shot before they even cast the movie. Some of it is cut into this spot, but I'm curious to see if it makes it into the actual movie. What we really get here is a feeling of small-town America being invaded, a marked contrast to the gritty urban feeling of the "Battle Los Angeles" spots that also ran today. Having Spielberg's name front and center in the spot only cements the fierce Amblin' nostalgia that this one kicks off in me.
I don't really recognize the cast, except for Kyle Chandler and one of the Fannings, but I like that. I just want faces… great movie faces who are part of this story. That was one of the things that Spielberg did best when he was younger, and it is part of the appeal of the films like "Jaws" and "Close Encounters."
I hope this film maintains a curtain of real secrecy right up to the moment it opens, because that could make for one of the summer's most special experiences in a theater.
"Super 8" opens everywhere June 10, 2011.
News From Our Partners
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
What was your favorite Super Bowl movie commercial?
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013