Watch: Jessica Chastain discusses 'The Debt' and Helen Mirren
We sit down with one of the year's freshest presences
I know this will make the second time I've been reduced to "Twilight" terminology in the last couple of weeks, but I can't help myself after conducting this interview and seeing her work in "The Help" and "The Debt"… I am resolutely now a member of Team Chastain.
And why not? Yes, she's a pretty strawberry blonde, and yes, she's crazy talented, but what did it for me was seeing her range demonstrated so clearly in such a short period of time. That and sitting down to chat with her to how she's feeling these days and realizing she's preposterously well-adjusted and cool.
After all, for her, this is not an immediate thing. She's been working on all the films we're just now seeing for a while now, and she knows how diverse those experiences have been, but for many of us, she's having that moment that happens occasionally where someone simply happens overnight, where we turn around and see them in a half-dozen films suddenly. In this case, Chastain was discovered by Al Pacino for a stage production of "Salome," and his word-of-mouth praise for her work got her hired by Terrence Malick, John Madden, Ralph Fiennes, and more.
As if all of that weren't enough, I can't think of a higher compliment for a young actress than getting hired to play the younger version of Helen Mirren in a film. The other day, I ran my interview with Mirren, where we talked about her end of the process, and in my talk with Chastain, I talked to her about how it was for her to play that role and work with Mirren to help define the character.
I have no doubt that Chastain is someone we're going to see a lot of in years to come, and it's exciting right now to see each of these films come out and see some new facet of her talent. Sometimes, moments like this tend to be all hype with nothing to back it up, but Chastain strikes me as the real deal, a gifted chameleon who has managed so far to transform completely from role to role.
"The Debt" is playing now.
News From Our Partners
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013