Watch: Jean-Pierre Jeunet introduces an exclusive 'Micmacs' clip
Get a sneak peek at the new film from the director of 'Amelie'
I've got a real fondness for directors who have a voice, even if I don't always love the films they make.
I think it's because the longer I spend writing about films and mainlining everything from around the world, the more I realize just how hard it is for a director to exercise the absolute stylistic control it takes to make a movie that's got the precise, crystal-clear voice of something like "Amelie" or "City Of Lost Children" or "Micmacs". Even when Jean-Pierre Jeunet makes a film that is less than personal like "Alien Resurrection," his signature is all over the movie, and you realize just how strong a stamp he leaves on the material he touches.
I reviewed the movie when I saw it at the Toronto Film Festival last year, and then I saw it again at last year's BNAT in Austin. Both times, what came through most clearly while watching the film was the purity of Jeunet's vision, the way he has once again built one of his crazy mousetraps filled with unforgettable eccentrics.
When Sony asked if we wanted to premiere an exclusive clip, I thought the chance to throw a little support behind this filmmaker whose work I've always enjoyed so much. But when we saw the beginning of the clip, it was a nice added "WOW" that we didn't expect.
This is part of the extended introduction to the strange new family that adopts Bazil (Danny Boon), the damaged man whose gunshot wound in the head kicks off a series of circumstances that has an impact on global war zones and two mega-conglomerate weapons companies. It gives you a good sense of the flavor of the world of the movie.
I still mourn the end of his partnership with Marc Caro, but it appears that Jeunet's voice is just as strong as it's always been, and I look forward to him continuing to treat us to a strange little flight of fancy every few years for as long as he wants to keep it up.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013