Jason Segel on why he's not returning for a 'Muppets' sequel
The franchise is in good hands
Last week, the news broke that Jason Segel was not one of the writers hired to develop a sequel to "The Muppets."
True, it was his frequent collaborator Nicholas Stoller who was hired, but just the notion that Segel might not be a driving force on a sequel seemed to upset some people. I thought it was probably not as big a deal as it was made out to be, and I said so, but I thought it would make sense to talk directly to Segel about it.
So on Saturday, one of the two press days I was at was for "Jeff, Who Lives At Home," the marvelous new comedy from Jay and Mark Duplass, and one of the interviews I had scheduled was Jason Segel. Why not kick things off by asking him to directly address the situation?
And, look, I understand why some people would be sad to lose him from the equation. There was a very disappointed Muppets fan standing in the room with us (Toshi came with me for the day) who told me later that Gary has to be in a Muppets movie because Gary LOVES the Muppets. There's no doubt he does, but the story in the first film was designed to get Walter to the Muppets. Gary and Mary went back to their small town to get married, and logically, there's no reason for Gary to have to have a major role in the next film. Walter, though, should be, and I hope they start the next movie with the Muppet Show back on the air and Walter part of the group. That seems like the most important thread to follow in a sequel.
Whatever the case, I'm just glad to see that Disney's committed to the characters.
"The Muppets" arrives on DVD and Blu-ray March 20th.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Plus how devoted do you have to be to be called a 'Trekkkie'?Tuesday, May 14, 2013