Watch: Jason Segel and Emily Blunt share 'Engagement' stories
Plus we talk about a moment on set that defined their relationship
It is unusual to actually learn something about a performer on a set visit, but I had a moment of pure clarity when I went to San Francisco to watch some of the production of "The Five-Year Engagement."
It was at the very end of the schedule, but it was for the first scene in the film. We spent most of the night on top of a building right by the water, watching Jason Segel propose to Emily Blunt repeatedly, and as I watched them shoot the scene, it was interesting to see how the dynamic between them played out.
In the first master shot, Segel was playing the comedy in the moment. It was a very funny version of the scene, and Blunt played it the same way. When Stoller moved in for close-ups, though, he shot Blunt's first, and she played the real emotion of the moment. It was still funny, but there was also something else going on underneath, something real and sweet. When the crew reversed the set-up for Segel's close-up, he adjusted his performance, playing it as real as Blunt did, turning up the emotion.
It was a little thing, and if you weren't watching every take, you might not have seen it, but it was clear to me that Segel was determined to tune in to whatever Blunt was doing. I've spent a lot of time on film sets over the years, but this is one of the most interesting moments I've seen happen between performers, where one of the actors adjusted so clearly to the other.
When we sat down recently to talk about the finished film, Segel and Blunt talked about how competitive Segel can be on a set, and I'm sure that was part of what I saw that night. But more than that, it was a very clear creative partnership happening, and they were genuinely in that scene together. It wasn't just two people throwing lines at each other… it was a duet, both of them tuned in to one another, and I think that plays out in the film itself.
"The Five-Year Engagement" opens today.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
10 days ago
29 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013