Watch: James Franco and Danny McBride share a bond on 'Your Highness'
Lots of laughs for such a short interview
The first time I met James Franco was on the set of "Pineapple Express." It was the afternoon where they were shooting the car chase where he put his foot through the windshield of the police car while driving, and watching them stage the gag and watching Franco work through the beat with his director, David Gordon Green, was an interesting glimpse into what seemed at the time like a bit of a course correction in terms of career for him.
After all, when you look at Franco, he's a leading man type, but as has become perfectly clear over the last few years, he's a much more eccentric guy than that, and his choices seem to indicate that whatever path Hollywood would like him to follow, he probably won't. I love that hot on the heels of Oscar nominations for both Franco and Natalie Portman, the two are appearing in "Your Highness," which will most likely not be nominated for anything at next year's Academy Awards except, perhaps, "Best Joke About Being Molested By A Puppet."
Franco and Danny McBride together is a whole lot of personality for one room, and I walked in hoping to have some fun talking to the two of them about their work in "Your Highness," and specifically about creating that dynamic between brothers that is central to their work in the film.
It's funny… I was just talking the other day with someone about this, and these video interviews are totally different from the long-form interviews I sometimes do in print. It's a different skill set. You're not looking to do the defining piece on someone's work here. You're looking for a moment, a sound bite, a little bit of charm that sums up something about the movie.
With these guys, thanks to a comfort level that already exists from prior conversations and thanks to just how silly and fun the movie is, it was an easy six minute conversation to have, and nothing but enjoyable. I'll also have a chat with Justin Theroux and my talk with David Gordon Green coming later in the week for you, both of which were equally entertaining.
"Your Highness" opens in theaters everywhere this Friday.
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013