Watch: 'iCarly' star Miranda Cosgrove on her role in 'Despicable Me'
She's seventeen, she could buy and sell me, and she's normal?I Madness
If you ever want to put the magnitude (or lack thereof) of your own accomplishments in this world into perspective, I recommend interviewing Miranda Cosgrove.
When I was her age, I was basically a fire hazard with a driver's license, a complete hormonal lunatic who ran roughshod through my family life and my part-time job and my school year. My junior year is a blur, and I'm genuinely lucky I lived through it, being as stupid as I was. At 17, I couldn't be trusted to get from point A to point B without screwing it up.
Miranda Cosgrove runs an empire.
Sure, she's got help, but this is a 17-year-old who has already headlined a TV phenomenon (Nickelodeon's "iCarly") and who is just kickstarting what looks to be a huge pop music career. She's got an army of motivated fans, and she seems to be blissfully normal and scandal free. In conversation, she's bright and engaged and an utter professional.
Depressing. Suicidally depressing. I'm over twice her age, and I still feel like I'm doing good if I make it out of the house without forgetting my belt.
After the interview, she was kind enough to sign a CD cover for a five year old friend of Toshi's, and that CD cover pretty much blew that little girl's mind. I may not have much sense of Cosgrove apart from her performance in "Despicable Me," but it's obvious that she's very important to a generation of little girls. I'm always curious about what it is that causes a fanbase to latch on like that, which is why I'll always approach something like "Twilight" with genuine curiosity.
In the case of Cosgrove, I may not get "iCarly," but if this is the type of girl that young women want to idolize, have at it. Seems like a perfectly logical choice to me.
"Despicable Me" is in theaters everywhere.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
Become a fan of HitFix on Facebook.
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013