Watch: Funny, filthy Cameron Diaz in very R-rated 'Bad Teacher' trailer
Jason Segal, Justin TImberlake, and Lucy Punch also strong in first look
Jake Kasdan should be much bigger than he is.
And, no, I don't mean he's a leprechaun.Â He's not miniature.Â But he is far more talented than his "place" in the industry would indicate.Â His work on "Freaks and Geeks" alone should make him a big name.Â "Zero Effect" is one of those great small movies that seems to be timeless, totally not part of any trend, and with a huge voice.Â "Orange County" is a low-key charmer, and "The TV Set" is an acutely-observed look at the madness of the entertainment industry, revealing and without sentiment.Â I think people dismissed "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" without really seeing it, lumping it in with lesser parody work, and it's probably the best comedy about musicians since "Ishtar."
Yes, I meant that as praise.
Maybe the tide has turned for Kasdan.Â Maybe this is his year finally.Â Screen Gems had a fun smart late-summer surprise last year with "Easy A," and I'm hoping "Bad Teacher" is that for them again this year, only with a much fouler mouth.Â Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg have a very short track record.Â They wrote "Year One," they write for "The Office," and they're working on "Ghostbuster III."Â
With "Bad Teacher," they're taking a shot at redeeming themselves after "Year One."Â I'd say this is an important movie for them.Â It represents their shot at a big-screen career.Â If it doesn't work, they'll probably be able to set up a network show fairly easily.Â But if it does work, they'll be able to probably just write movies if that's what they'd prefer.Â This is a team with a lot to prove, and with raw talent to burn when you consider Stupnitsky and Eisenberg and Kasdan together.
" Bad Teacher" stars Cameron Diaz, and it's a brand-new her you'll see in the trailer for this.Â She's always had an eye for material like this, but she's rarely given the role of the most outrageous asshole in a film.Â She was surrounded by madness in "There's Something About Mary," and the whole point of the film was that she wasn't part of it.Â She was sweet, instead.Â If you see her in "Very Bad Things" or "Vanilla Sky," you can see that there's something else going on inside her.Â She's more interesting than I ever would have expected when I saw "The Mask" in the theater.Â And when she made "The Sweetest Thing," she was trying to pull off a movie where she gets to be the alpha male, the uberjerk.Â It looks here like she's finally found the role that lets her play that side, turned all the way up.
She's supported by Lucy Punch, Jason Segel, Justin Timberlake, Phyllis Smith, John Michael Higgins, and more, and the trailer pulls out all the stops to try and convey a very heavy R-rated tone.Â My one concern is that this looks like it gives away a ton of the movie, and I would have enjoyed hearing them for the first time in the film.Â Still, it's promising, and I hope there's plenty more where this came from.
So again... keep in mind... this is not to be played at work or in front of your kids.Â You'll know why pretty much right away:
"Bad Teacher" starts taking attendance June 24.
News From Our Partners
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013