Watch: Donald Sutherland enjoys the chess behind 'The Hunger Games'
Veteran actor talks about waking young people up to social conscience
Donald Sutherland is a titan, and it is a genuine pleasure to get a chance to engage him in conversation.
Sure, I wish it had been in circumstances other than the sort of forced five-minute intimacy of a press junket, but for a guy like this, you take what's offered. His career has been filled with so many remarkable and eccentric high points that it's hard to even know where to start complimenting him or how to even dig into his body of work.
His presence as President Snow in "The Hunger Games" is crucial. Although Snow plays a key role in the trilogy as a whole, he's really not a figure of any weight in the first book. In adapting it, Gary Ross has built Snow into the film organically, and I think he is an important part of the film as a whole. He has to be. If you're going to really make the final film pay off, you need to introduce Snow as early as possible.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
That's what makes him valuable to "The Hunger Games." Katniss Everdeen spends this first film proving what sort of person she is, what sort of force she represents. And for that to really matter, it's important that we see who she's up against. For this to resonate as a story of the 99% versus the 1%, we have to meet both adversaries and set the stage for what is ahead. And Sutherland is just one of the many smart casting decisions Ross made for the film.
Best part of the encounter? Toshi joined me at the press day, since we drove right over from his baseball practice, and when we walked into the room, he saw Sutherland, who cuts an imposing figure to say the least. The actor put out his hand and said, "Would you like to introduce yourself?"
Toshi walked over to him and put his hand out, shaking Sutherland's hand, and told him his name. Sutherland beamed down at him, and with that great big booming voice of his, said, "Have you ever been introduced to a pirate before?"
Class act, plain and simple.
"The Hunger Games" arrives in theaters March 23.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
11 days ago
30 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013