Watch: Danny DeVito talks 'Lorax,' promises 'War Of The Roses' Blu-ray soon
The star of the new adaptation of the Dr. Seuss classic talks about the role
Danny De Vito is a hardcore fan of home video, and has been for at least 20 years, so it's good to hear he's preparing Blu-ray special editions of his films "Hoffa" and "War Of The Roses" right now.
I met DeVito for the first time when I was working at Dave's Video in the early '90s. There were three customers at that store who bought everything that came out, and I'm not exaggerating. Danny DeVito, Ivan Reitman, and Steven Spielberg were voracious fans of laserdisc, and they all had the same standing order with the store. Whatever we ordered, we were to order them copies for purchase as well. I can't even imagine what DeVito's laserdisc collection must have looked like, but I know he took it seriously.
When it came to transferring his own films, he went above and beyond. Both "Hoffa" and "War Of The Roses" got the deluxe treatment from Fox at the time, and when we sat down to talk about his work in the new film "The Lorax," I couldn't resist asking him about Blu-ray, and he told me that he's getting ready to bring those films out again, with new features added just to take advantage of Blu-ray.
We were also able to bond as fathers who love to read Dr. Seuss aloud to our kids. I've seen him with his kids, and he always struck me as a dedicated father who took visible pleasure in hanging out with his kids, who encouraged a sense of play in them. Reading Dr. Seuss to your kids is one of those pleasures that you have to experience to fully understand, but those books are meant to be read aloud. They're meant to be shared that way, and for the reader, they are invitations to do big silly voices and to really enjoy the music of what's on the page. I know that there are very few things that make my boys laugh as hard as my reading of "Yertle The Turtle," and I'm sure every parent has their particular favorite.
For DeVito, being asked to actually play The Lorax was an honor, and he speaks about what it meant to him. It was a pleasure to catch up with him, and I sincerely hope he's got something else in the works as a director, because as much as I enjoy watching him onscreen, I think he's got a great twisted point of view as a filmmaker, and it would be a shame if there's nothing more for him to say.
"The Lorax" opens in theaters everywhere this Friday.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
8 days ago
27 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Plus how devoted do you have to be to be called a 'Trekkkie'?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Will he be heading out on a new adventure soon?Tuesday, May 14, 2013