Watch: 'Avengers' stars Mark Ruffalo and Scarlett Johansson share a laugh
The Hulk and the Black Widow go head to head to discuss their new film
In 1994, I had my first play produced as part of a one-act theater festival here in Los Angeles at the Met Theater. The festival was cast by Risa Bramon Garcia, who was one of the biggest casting agents in the business at the time, and one of the other plays that was produced as part of the festival was "Betrayal By Everyone," by Kenneth Lonergan. That was eventually expanded into "This Is Our Youth," and the play put both Lonergan and Mark Ruffalo on the map.
During the festival, I made time to see the play that Ruffalo was in several times, and he earned a nickname among the people working on the fest: Baby Brando. There was a crazy intensity to his work that had people talking about him, and it didn't surprise me at all to see him continue to work with Lonergan in the years that followed.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
One of the things that is sort of remarkable about "The Avengers" is just how funny it is, even as they keep the stakes front and center, and it's also kind of amazing how the film balances all the character work and storylines. The Black Widow, as played by Johansson, was fairly underwritten in her first appearance in "Iron Man 2," and from the first scene she appears, it's obvious that she's got a much more focused and interesting character to play.
For Ruffalo, he's the third actor in three films to play The Hulk, but the first to actually play both Banner and The Hulk all the way through. It's an impressive double-act, and one of the best scenes in the film involves the Hulk's first appearance in the film and the Black Widow trying to get away from him. For both performers, it's impressive work, and it makes sense for the two of them to be paired for these conversations.
We'll have more of the Avengers here on HitFix for you as we count down to the release of the film.
"The Avengers" arrives in theaters May 3, 2012.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
17 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013