Watch: 'Avengers' stars Mark Ruffalo and Scarlett Johansson share a laugh
The Hulk and the Black Widow go head to head to discuss their new film
In 1994, I had my first play produced as part of a one-act theater festival here in Los Angeles at the Met Theater. The festival was cast by Risa Bramon Garcia, who was one of the biggest casting agents in the business at the time, and one of the other plays that was produced as part of the festival was "Betrayal By Everyone," by Kenneth Lonergan. That was eventually expanded into "This Is Our Youth," and the play put both Lonergan and Mark Ruffalo on the map.
During the festival, I made time to see the play that Ruffalo was in several times, and he earned a nickname among the people working on the fest: Baby Brando. There was a crazy intensity to his work that had people talking about him, and it didn't surprise me at all to see him continue to work with Lonergan in the years that followed.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
One of the things that is sort of remarkable about "The Avengers" is just how funny it is, even as they keep the stakes front and center, and it's also kind of amazing how the film balances all the character work and storylines. The Black Widow, as played by Johansson, was fairly underwritten in her first appearance in "Iron Man 2," and from the first scene she appears, it's obvious that she's got a much more focused and interesting character to play.
For Ruffalo, he's the third actor in three films to play The Hulk, but the first to actually play both Banner and The Hulk all the way through. It's an impressive double-act, and one of the best scenes in the film involves the Hulk's first appearance in the film and the Black Widow trying to get away from him. For both performers, it's impressive work, and it makes sense for the two of them to be paired for these conversations.
We'll have more of the Avengers here on HitFix for you as we count down to the release of the film.
"The Avengers" arrives in theaters May 3, 2012.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
10 days ago
29 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013