Watch: Anton Yelchin on 'The Beaver' and returning to 'Star Trek'
One of the hottest young actors in town spends some time at SXSW with us
Sitting down with Anton Yelchin at SXSW this year to discuss his work in "The Beaver," I felt like the standard five minutes just wasn't enough.
After all, this young actor has been positively crushing it in all of his work the last few years. Even if I didn't care for "Terminator: Salvation," I thought he did genuinely admirable work as a young Kyle Reese, managing to evoke many of the qualities that made the role work in the original "Terminator" without just doing an impression of Michael Biehn. And in "Star Trek," he had the difficult task of playing a young Chekov with a broad Russian accent and not making it a joke.
This is his year, though. He is piercing and unforgettable in "Like Crazy," the romantic drama that flattened me at Sundance, and he is equally good in Jodie Foster's "The Beaver," which finally opens in limited release starting this weekend. He plays Mel Gibson's son in the film, and his storyline, played out opposite the suddenly white-hot Jennifer Lawrence, is just as strong as the primary story about Gibson's own struggles. Yelchin has the ability to project strength and fragility, intelligence and inexperience, contradictory notions that somehow work together in his performances, and "The Beaver" demands quite a bit of him as an actor.
Since Lawrence also plays a key role in "Like Crazy," it made sense for us to discuss her in our time together, and I also wanted to ask him about returning to a character for the first time in the upcoming "Star Trek" sequel. That's one of those skills they don't really have a class for when you're training as an actor, but it's something you'd better be good at if you're going to survive in the franchise-minded modern Hollywood.
Whatever Yelchin does from here, I wish him well. He's got an impressive focus for someone so young, and I genuinely think we're still just in the early days of his career. He's going to be doing this for as long as he wants to be doing this, and that's very good news for audiences.
"The Beaver" opens in limited release May 6, 2011.
News From Our Partners
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal 'The Wolverine' New Trailer: More Ninjas, More Action and Jean Grey?
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Plus he describes how he's like his character in the filmsMonday, May 20, 2013
One of the strangest moments of my online career involved the legendary musicianMonday, May 20, 2013
Instead, he explains how he feels the new film defines the whole trilogyMonday, May 20, 2013