Watch: Aaron Eckhart reports for duty with 'Battle: Los Angeles'
The actor talks about his new action film in our recent interview
Aaron Eckhart is a good egg.
And he just happens to be having a great run of luck right now. His work in last year's amazing "Rabbit Hole" just destroyed me. As a father, imagining myself in his character's shoes in that movie was almost too much to take. And the way he navigated the performance without ever going for the easy beats, the cheap sympathy, was genuinely impressive.
I still remember the experience of seeing "In The Company Of Men" in the theater when it first came out and watching the way people reacted to him. It was a star-making performance, but as a world-class asshole, and I think there are people who simply assumed he had to be that guy.
Over time, what I've been impressed by is the solid matter-of-fact adulthood that Eckhart represents in an age where so many of our actors are boyish well into their 40s. Eckhart has never seemed like a boy. Not once. He's a throwback to an age where movie stars had some miles on them, where they were real men, and he brings that same quality to his work in the new film "Battle: Los Angeles," where he is the staff sergeant to a group of marines who find themselves navigating the mean streets of Santa Monica during a military emergency involving aliens from space.
And while that sounds like a potentially silly premise for a film, Eckhart grounds it the same way he took one of the most outrageous Batman villains of all time and grounded it in an undeniable reality. That seems to be his real gift, and I'd argue more filmmakers who work with the fantastic should consider Eckhart as a stealth weapon, a guy who make the incredible credible with deceptive ease.
Our conversation was short, as most junket interviews are, but it seemed like it went really well. Maybe part of that was the praise I lavished on "Rabbit Hole" as I sat down. "Are you a member of the Academy?" he asked, and when I told him that, sadly, I am not, he replied, "Well, I voted for you anyway."
How can you not like this guy?
"Battle: Los Angeles" opens everywhere this Friday.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013