Zack Snyder's 'The Legend Of The Guardians' trailer is unleashed
Marketing blitz begins with a trailer and the first images online
I guess Warner Bros. decided it's time to get "The Legend Of The Guardians" onto everyone's radar.
And based on the reaction in my own house to the trailer, it may have worked.
USA Today kicked things off yesterday with a "first look" article yesterday featuring five new stills from the film, and the accompanying article did a nice job laying out what to expect from this animated adaptation of the Guardians of Ga'hoole novels by Kathryn Lasky. I didn't realize there are fifteen books in the series so far, but that would suggest that there is a big audience out there just waiting to see these stories brought to life. Just because I didn't know about them doesn't mean they're not well known to the exact audience that Warner Bros. is trying to reach with this film.
The trailer itself is stunningly beautiful, something that was only hinted at in the footage I saw while I was in Vancouver in December. I'm taken aback at how strong the work by Animal Logic appears to be. It's realistic, but it also has a lush, rich style that suggests they're treating the material seriously, and not just making a "kiddie film." That's exactly the approach I would expect from Snyder, and it looks like it's paid off.
The voice cast includes Helen Mirren, Jim Sturgess, Deborrah-Lee Furness, Hugo Weaving, Abbie Cornish, and a fistful of other Australian talent, and I like how they didn't try to turn everyone American or sand the edges off those accents. Makes it stand out.
When we finished playing the trailer (Toshi and his little brother Allen, whose second birthday party is about to kick off here at the house), they both yelled the same thing, probably because of the BluRay we watched over the weekend: "BUBO!"
Okay, maybe that's not exactly the reaction Warner Bros. was looking for, but there was definitely a lot of excitement about what they saw. Check it out for yourself:
You can also see an HD version of the trailer at Yahoo! Movies right here, and you can see it in theaters this weekend in front of "Alice In Wonderland."
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013