Todd Phillips hires Duplass Brothers to drive his adaptation of 'Mule'
What will the King Of Mean and the Turks of Quirk do together?
Here's a combination that I never would have expected.
The Duplass Brothers are on fire right now, working incredibly hard and putting out something like 85 movies a year. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, and at least part of that effect comes from seeing Mark Duplass show up in other people's movies like "Your Sister's Sister" or "Darling Companion" or on his TV series "The League." Their movie "The Do-Deca Pentathalon" is getting a Fox Searchlight release later this year and their other new film, "Jeff Who Lives At Home" is still in some theaters now.
And as Todd Phillips prepares to start production on the final film in "The Hangover" series, he's also enjoying the recent success of "Project X." Once he wraps up his mega-successful franchise, he's going to be looking for his next movie. And it looks like that's going to be a film that brings him together with the Duplass Brothers, an unlikely marriage if I've ever seen one.
It's an interesting match of sensibilities. I haven't read the novel by Tony D'Souza, but it's the story of a young couple who attempt to erase some of their debts by driving some marijuana across the country, and what that does to their relationship. The Duplass brothers approach their decidedly eccentric characters with a wellspring of empathy, and they love them for their faults and flaws. Their films love to dig into those flaws and treat them with a sort of reverence, acknowledging that people are weak and weird and, yet, somehow still pretty wonderful.
Meanwhile, Phillips practically revels in bad behavior. He loves watching characters do terrible things, and he seems to love the fall-out from those terrible things even more. They could balance each other out in really interesting ways, cutting deeper than the Duplass Brothers normally do, but with a more open heart than what Phillips does.
Warner Bros. is working with Electric City Entertainment to develop the book into a film, and based on this combination of talent, I'd say they're off to a pretty great start.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
11 days ago
30 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013