Runners-Up 2008: #8 - 'Hellboy II: The Golden Army'
Guillermo Del Toro's just making one big movie, and each time he releases something, it just adds brushstrokes to this one giant-scale phantasmagoric painting that won't really come into focus until he's finally finished. He is the American Miyazaki, a fantasist who is intent on not just thrilling us from film to film, but who is actually building an alternate world on film, brick by brick, monster by monster, his unique gifts becoming stronger and stronger each time he makes a film. In its own way, this feels as much like a series reboot as Universal's other big comic book movie, "The Incredible Hulk." Del Toro seems to both acknowledge and correct most of the problems with the first "Hellboy," which I liked a lot, but which had a few major missteps built in. This time out, everything works better. The characters are looser, more alive. The world is more vibrant, more filled-out. And there's a sadness here that really does seem to be part and parcel with Del Toro's best work, a sense that we live in an age where wonder and magic aren't valued at all. I have to give special credit to Del Toro for doing something i didn't think was possible... making me like Seth McFarlane. A lot. That may be the greatest special effect of the year.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013